Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A Matrix Sim in JavaScript

Do you ever find yourself working on a large project with a long lead-in time before you have visible results to show? I had been frustrated by this feeling recently. I had been focusing on a personal project which will likely be a long time in the making, so I decided to pick up a short, simple, and quick project to keep things lively and fresh. So our story begins.

During high school, I was wowed by the movie The Matrix. The special effects were mind blowing (for their day) and the story line was something I could really get behind (not so with the sequels, but I digress). I imagine this is how my elders felt when Star Wars was first released.

One of the most memorable visuals in the movie is the code of the matrix zipping by vertically on the screen in a retro green on black. Cypher, makes a statement, which seems to be a favorite among programmers, that he no longer sees the code itself, but what it represents. He has become fluent to the point of transcendence - a geek nirvana experience.

At this point in my life I had written a few moderately complex programs, mostly using Turbo C, and I thought: "Why, I could make my computer look like the matrix." It was one of the more involved programs I had written at the time and I was quite pleased with the result. I brought it in to the computer lab at school, loaded it onto all of the machines, and had the whole lab running it at once. I'm pretty sure that Ben, Yed, and Roman G. remember it. Sadly I doubt the code would run on the DOS emulator that ships with Windows XP and higher. I recall vaguely that Roman ported it to Win32 or something in our high school computer science class. Now that I think about it, I guess you could say that this was my first open source experience.

In thinking of something quick and easy to create with some immediate visual payoff, I decided to recreate my little DOS matrix sim, but this time in the browser. Behold: The matrix in JavaScript.

It turns out that the CSS rules needed to keep columns at a fixed width and height was actually quite complex and took longer than expected to get right. The vertical line height was still elusive in Chrome and Safari, but worked in Firefox and Opera. I don't think that this works yet in Internet Explorer. Though if past traffic is any indication, none of you would have noticed had I not said something :-)

Many thanks to Scudmissile for his mighty CSS kung fu. Oh, and that whirring sound that you hear may be your CPU fan trying to take flight. Apparently rendering a vertical text flow like this using DOM manipulation, CSS, and Math.random may be a bit more processor intensive than my obsolete C code.
Post a Comment